If you are searching for a small business that is responsive to your needs and provides high-quality work at reasonable rates, just give us a call. We would be glad to discuss your specific needs and provide a cost estimate for our services.
Beverly J. Campbell, President
Stacy Philipson Grenis, Vice President of Administration
The Scientific Consulting Group, Inc.
656 Quince Orchard Road, Suite 210
Gaithersburg, Maryland 20878-1409
Director of Communications
The Scientific Consulting Group, Inc. has an immediate need for a Director of Communications. This individual will develop and lead SCG’s communications team supporting the strategic health communications and education efforts of numerous government and private sector clients.
Responsibilities and Duties
Responsibilities will include but are not limited to tasks and responsibilities as outlined below:
- Oversee the Communications Department, set work priorities, manage schedules, and use performance management tools to ensure the effectiveness of the department.
- Lead the development, implementation, and evaluation of multi-channel strategic communications plans for federal and private clients.
- Draft content for a wide range of communications products.
- Direct all digital content to maximize reach and engagement.
- Develop measures and evaluate impact of communication activities.
- Use a strategic approach to updating website content to encourage maximum audience engagement. Oversee reporting of key performance metrics, such as website traffic, to effectively evaluate and refine tactics.
- Conduct formative research, analyze results, and prepare reports for clients.
- Create press materials including press releases, backgrounders, talking points, media advisories, and press kits.
- Maintain a media monitoring service and create monthly analytics reports.
- Ensure SCG has the right mix of assets, channels, and tactics to build awareness and support among target audiences. Oversee all marketing activities, including multi-channel advertising, social media, content marketing, events, and more.
- Identify stakeholders and target audiences and assess the most effective channels for reaching them.
- Oversee media relations activities including building and managing media relationships, coordinating media interviews, and getting press coverage. Develop press angles aligned with key campaign messages and marketing initiatives.
- Drive strategic planning, core messaging, and positioning across traditional and digital media channels.
- Provide media and crisis communication training for clients.
- Identify opportunities for and develop by-line articles. Ability to pitch news stories and draft content such as blogs and tweets.
Required Qualifications and Skills
- Bachelor’s degree with experience in communications and public health. MPH or other master’s level degree is preferred.
- At least 10 years of related experience is required.
- Ability to work independently on multiple time-sensitive projects simultaneously with strong organizational skills.
- Strong verbal and writing skills.
- Strong Project Management skills.
- Experience in media and crisis communication training is preferred.
- Excellent management skills and ability to manage teams.
Interested candidates should submit resume and cover letter stating salary requirements.
The Scientific Consulting Group, Inc. is looking for a Science Writer/Editor to be based on-site at our client facility located in Bethesda, MD. Primary responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following tasks:
- Research, develop and draft articles, speeches, talking points, blogs, tweets, web content, presentations, and other materials for scientific and lay audiences.
- Perform extensive research through interviews and by reviewing existing documentation.
- Prepare a variety of documents such as reports, correspondence, and notes on oral instructions.
- Provide science and science policy writing and editing.
- Write in a timely manner for lay and professional audiences.
- Have a high level of computer literacy in Microsoft Word.
- Copyedit and proofread materials.
- Manage multiple editorial projects.
- Translate technical and scientific subject matter into clear and concise text.
- Ensure that written content is clear, concise, consistent, and free of bureaucratic or overly dense language.
- Develop brochures and fact sheets.
- Make recommendations to project leads on editorial or communications issues.
- Strong skills in Excel and Power Point preferred, but not required, including the ability to:
- Create title and bulleted list slides
- Format font, size, color, and alignment of text
- Change line and paragraph spacing
- Create multilevel bulleted and numbered lists
- Add text boxes, auto-shapes, and graphics to a slide
- Effective use of animation
- Insert table and chart slides into a presentation
- Use the outline view to modify and manipulate slides
- Use the slide sorter view to arrange and
- Manipulate slides
- Apply slide transitions between slides
- Add speaker notes for a slide
- Apply a design template to slides
- Modify the color scheme and background of a slide
- Edit and format master slides
- Print slides, handouts, and speaker notes
- Utilize shortcut keys while showing a presentation
The contractor shall not engage in any efforts (drafting, preparing, or otherwise leading to the creation of information products) that result in a non-attributed journal article (e.g., a peer reviewed paper). This work is not allowable under the contract as are any other ghost writing activities that ordinarily would have attribution.
Upon request, the contractor shall provide documentation evidence of any and/or all work product, including, but not limited to, the following tasks:
- Work products and documents related to researching, developing, and drafting articles, speeches, talking points, and other materials.
- Work products and documents related to preparing reports, correspondence, notes on oral instructions, and PowerPoint presentations.
- Work products and documents related to developing and editing content for print publications, web pages, and the intranet.
- Work products must be appropriately referenced.
- Deliverables are expected to be error free, complete, and accurate.
CERTIFICATIONS, LICENSE, PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS OR OTHER EXPERTISE REQUIRED
The contractor must have:
- Prefer a PhD, or MD degree but not required.
- Minimum of six (6) years of related experience in writing scientific materials for professional and lay audiences.
- Extremely broad knowledge of biomedical research areas so as to be able to conduct literature searches, to gather new information, identify topics, write and edit in-depth technical articles and articles for the lay public.
- Excellent judgment in interpreting findings, analyzing the gathered information, verifying facts, and drawing conclusions.
- Experience with Microsoft Office Suite.
- Strong communications skills, both oral and written.
- Knowledge of correct grammar, spelling, punctuation, capitalization, and style.
Excellent analytical, organizational, and time-management skills. Interested candidate should submit resume and cover letter stating salary requirements.
For all positions, candidates should send resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org.
SCG is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
656 Quince Orchard Road
Gaithersburg, MD 20878
7315A Grove Road
Frederick, MD 21704