If you are searching for a small business that is responsive to your needs and provides high-quality work at reasonable rates, just give us a call. We would be glad to discuss your specific needs and provide a cost estimate for our services.
Beverly J. Campbell, President
Stacy Philipson Grenis, Vice President of Administration
The Scientific Consulting Group, Inc.
656 Quince Orchard Road, Suite 210
Gaithersburg, Maryland 20878-1409
Senior Scientific Writer/Editor
The ideal Senior Writer/Editor will have experience working in the science or health publications field. Specific experience writing and editing diverse types of documents on many different health and/or environmental topics. The Senior Writer/Editor will collaborate closely with technical and non-technical staff to draft meeting summaries, newsletter content, strategic plans, fact sheets, and other documents. The candidate must be able to:
- Produce clear, comprehensive drafts using excellent grammar, punctuation, formatting, and syntax.
- Write and edit material to ensure well-structured, logically organized content and inclusion of proper citations.
- Follow plain language guidelines, translate highly technical findings into concise, engaging, actionable material for diverse target audiences.
- Master's degree or higher in science (Chemistry, Biology, Microbiology, Genetics).
- Collaborative skills--can engage with a team of in-house staff as well as clients at NIH, EPA, and other government agencies under the guidance of the Task Manager and Project Director.
- 5 to 10 years of experience in writing scientific or health-related content that makes research accessible to lay or technical audiences.
- Excellent substantive editing, copyediting, proofreading, and fact-checking skills as applied to scientific/medical content.
- High degree of proficiency with Microsoft Office, especially MS Word and Excel.
- Experience as a publications director, managing editor, and/or production schedule manager.
- Scientific or medical editing certification.
- Familiarity with content on women's health, HIV/AIDS, allergy and infectious diseases, and environmental health issues such as asthma.
- Knowledge of AP and GPO style guides and the ability to develop and maintain in-house style guides.
- Proposal writing, editing, and/or management experience.
- Work experience with NIH a plus.
SCG seeks a Network Administrator to maintain a reliable, secure, and efficient data/voice communications network. The ideal candidate will be able to deploy, configure, maintain, and monitor all active network equipment in order to ensure smooth network operations. Furthermore, the candidate will serve as a helpdesk personnel resolving staff’s issues/concerns.
- Fully support, configure, maintain, and upgrade corporate networks, desktops, laptops, servers, printers, and computer-related equipment.
- Install and integrate new desktop, server, printer, and peripherals hardware and applications.
- Perform updates as needed.
- Support and administer third-party applications.
- Ensure network security and connectivity.
- Monitor network performance (availability, utilization, throughput, and latency) and test for vulnerabilities.
- Resolve problems reported by end users.
- Implement network policies and procedures.
- Identify system requirements and design solutions.
- Research and make recommendations on server system administration.
- Set up user accounts, permissions, and passwords.
- 3–5 years of proven experience in a network administrator role
- Minimum of 10 years’ experience with Microsoft products (Office and Operating Systems)
- Hands-on experience in networking, routing, and switching
- Excellent knowledge of best practices around management, control, and monitoring of desktop and server infrastructure
- Experience with firewalls, Internet VPN’s remote implementation, troubleshooting, and problem resolution is desired
- Ability to set up and configure printers, laptop, desktops and servers hardware
- Proficiency in Active Directory
- Working knowledge of MS Exchange Mail Server
- Familiarity with TCP/IP, DNS, FTP, IIS, Red Hat, Drupal, and VMWare
- Familiarity with backup and recovery software and methodologies
- Great organizing, prioritizing, and multitasking skills
- Microsoft, HP, Cisco, VMWare training/certification
- BS degree in Computer Science or related field
Interested candidate should submit resume and cover letter stating salary requirements.
SCG is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
Program Support Assistant
Position will be based at our client site in North Bethesda/Rockville.
The PSA will be responsible for taking minutes at meetings, preparing the written summary and coordinate meetings. Candidate may also be asked to prepare narrative and tabular materials such as memoranda, correspondence and reports in accordance with the NIH correspondence manual and other applicable guidance, for review by originators.
The PSA is responsible for use of proper grammar, spelling, capitalization, punctuation and format. The PSA utilizes a Document Correspondence tracking system to ensure a timely response to correspondence and reporting requirements of the office. In addition, the PSA forwards all closed documents to the OAR Document Specialist for future reference. The PSA may make all necessary arrangements for travel for OARAC members, presenters, and key OAR scientific staff members, as well as prepares Domestic and Foreign Travel Orders/Vouchers using the Official Airline Guide to develop flight itineraries. The PSA may provide assistance to receive incoming correspondence and screen all materials prior to distribution for a response, follow up for the supervisor, and review correspondence prepared for the supervisor’s approval. Check for spelling, typographical errors, compliance with formats and procedural requirements.
The PSA may assist with receiving visitors and telephone calls to the office, determines the nature of requests and directs callers to appropriate staff. Take requests for appointments with supervisor and staff after checking on their availability, confirms all appointments, and reschedules appointments upon request of the supervisor or staff member. Schedules appointments and makes arrangements for time, participants, and location of meetings in accordance with instructions from the supervisor. Makes necessary arrangements for travel, arranging schedules of visits, making reservations, notifying organizations and officials to be visited, and submitting travel vouchers and reports. Uses On-Time Calendar Program to develop up-to-date calendars and weekly reports to the OAR Director’s Office.
The PSA responds to routine and nontechnical requests for information such as status of reports, response dates for matters requiring compliance, and similar information readily available from files. Prepares requisitions for office supplies, equipment, and publications. Performs a variety of administrative support duties, such as making extensive travel arrangements, making complete arrangements for large conferences, composing complex but nontechnical correspondence, locating and assembling information for various reports, briefings, conferences, etc., following up with staff members to insure that various commitments made at conferences and meetings are met, designing and organizing filing systems, planning and arranging the maintenance and preparation of information needed for budget reports, and organizing the flow of clerical processes in the office.
The Scientific Consulting Group, Inc. (SCG) seeks a Conference/Meeting Planner to join its meetings department. Duties include but are not limited to logistical support, client meetings, budget development and tracking, vendor contract negotiations, site selection, food and beverage selection, meeting materials preparation (including agenda and program development), tracking registration, website content development, database management, and speaker/travel coordination.
- Bachelor's degree required
- CMP or CGMP and prior government experience preferred
- Minimum of 5 years' event/meeting planning or related hospitality work experience
- Poise under pressure, flexible with time constraints and changing schedules, and ability to think quickly to resolve problems
- Clear accurate written and verbal communication skills
- Exceptional customer service skills and ability to work effectively with clients and vendors
- Must be detail-oriented, sharp, professional, independent, and self-motivated
- Ability to meet deadlines and work on multiple projects simultaneously
- Ability to work flexible hours to be onsite at meetings early in the morning or late into the evening
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office products
Technical Operations Specialist
The Scientific Consulting Group, Inc. has an immediate need for a Technical Operations Specialist to be based on-site supporting the communication needs of our federal client. The employee will support the needs of our client's IT Section, which is responsible for their administrative operations. This includes managing hardware and software, training staff on IT deployments or changes, and serving as a management/program analyst to support applications. The contractor will resolve issues presented to him/her with appropriate guidance from the COR and senior staff, and function as a team player in the office to help accommodate fluctuating demands of the Administrative and IT operations staff.
Task 1: Application and Hardware Support
Provide expertise and technical knowledge about an application or suite of applications. This includes:
- Answer queries and resolve issues with software applications.
- Create and/or modify Microsoft PowerPoint presentations, Excel worksheets and fillable forms and Acrobat Pro fillable forms for use by users.
- Provide audiovisual (AV) support for the conference room.
- Meet with PCO and Program Manager to discuss surplus and incoming hardware expectations.
- Prepare hardware for surplus.
- Manage the regular hardware refresh cycle through customer feedback of hardware needs.
- Place help desk tickets for office-wide equipment installs, repairs, and support.
- Provide file management and consolidation consultation.
- Consult users on data recovery.
- Monthly reports on activities.
- Ad hoc project updates as requested.
- Link to tasks once finalized.
Task 2: Technical Support
Provide expertise and make recommendations about computer system capabilities. This includes:
- Coordinate with OIT or CIT, as needed, on major changes to IT infrastructure. Examples may include changes to networked printers, AV equipment installation in conference rooms, phone system changes, and the like.
- Work with staff to make recommendations to place IT orders through the ITCCP program
- Provide recommendations and justification for hardware purchases.
- Develop and maintain an inventory of software, and identify upgrades needed or opportunities for savings.
- Manage office-wide PC software migration.
- Perform daily AV testing in conference room.
- Perform conference room setup for staff meetings.
- Coordinate with engineers for AV upgrades to conference room.
- Monitor meetings for WebEx and Skype support.
- Provide support for graphic display.
- Monthly reports on project portfolios.
- Ad hoc project updates as requested.
- Documents that track and record all IT projects.
- IT recommendations.
- Updates to software inventory.
Task 3: IT Training
Provide training for staff on various software and hardware. This includes:
- Train users on specific applications, AV, or Skype as needed.
- Manage training of staff on deployed or redesigned IT systems.
- Recommend IT training to leadership and makes the business case for in-house versus external training.
- Conduct IT training, as requested by COR and leadership. Includes scheduling and preparing training curricula, handouts, and other information products for OAR staff.
- Conduct training for any new hardware placed in common areas such as printers, scanners, and other peripheral devices.
- Monthly reports on activities.
- Ad hoc project updates as requested.
- Documentation of IT training needs
- Documentation of IT training completed for staff.
Task 4: Business Analyst
Analyze IT systems and processes to identify opportunities to improve the quality of services delivered and to assist in integration of new solutions. This includes:
- Research and recommend new or modified systems, hardware, and software.
- Utilize knowledge of office and OIT technology and business processes to identify opportunities to further leverage the technology within the business.
- Contribute to project planning by estimating task duration.
- Develop workflows and organizational charts using Microsoft Visio that accurately depict processes and relationships.
- Ensure project and work items are operationally ready within established timeframes.
- Identify efficient processes to improve services and reduce the labor required to achieve the desired result.
- Develop and maintain standard operation procedures (SOPs) to document processes.
- Update email distribution lists; manage listserv.
- Maintains a current list of non-standard software used (e.g., Adobe Pro, Nintex) with the requisite information, such as number of licenses, users, expiry dates. Ensures that licenses do not lapse .
- Assists staff in preparing electronic documents for the Research Advisory Committee.
- Provides file management and consolidation consultation.
- Creates floor plans / office schematics.
- Consults users on data recovery.
- Assists with onboarding new users.
- Project plans with time/schedule to accomplish assigned work.
- Project status updates on assigned projects.
- Microsoft Visio workflows and organizational charts.
- Development of SOPs.
- Development of floor plans /office schematics.
- Bachelor's degree in computer science or related field required.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in the IT field.
- Ability to successfully pass a background check.
For all positions, candidates should send resumes to email@example.com.
SCG is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
656 Quince Orchard Road
Gaithersburg, MD 20878
7315A Grove Road
Frederick, MD 21704